(1) The most scientifically-proven and enjoyable thing to make you feel better after a long, trying week is to get a couple of your close friends together and go out for a delicious meal.
Order booze (preferably beer out of a wine glass, if you can). Laugh. Order soft pretzels. Laugh more. Order another beer. Split plates of calamari salad, 10-year aged cheddar mac n’ cheese with pulled pork and the softest, most pillowy gnocchi to ever graze your tongue. Laugh again.
Order more beer. Two desserts. An espresso. And linger at the table until the waitress gives you the evil nod that says, “Is three hours not long enough for you to eat? Please leave now.”
(2) Iced Magic Coffee from Graze. A cinnamon-spiked, half n’ half laden dream.
(3) After nearly a month, I finally cleaned my apartment. I cannot tell you how good it feels.
(4) On Saturday, my friend Katie and I had the pleasure of seeing Mark Bittman speak at the Isthmus Green Day here in Madison. In case you are unaware, Mark Bittman is a NY Times columnist, cookbook author, TV chef (he toured Spain with Gwyneth Paltrow!) and my personal food god. His food policy writing is spot-on, and he’s a part-time vegan!
He believes the government is failing us when it comes to our health (true), soda is not food – in fact, it’s the opposite of food – it’s not nourishment (also true) and that, “Veganism is not the issue. Eating more real food and way less processed junk is the issue,” (again, true). If you want me to do a full blog post more on Bittman’s talk, let me know. I’d be happy to.
(6) Interval stair workouts (i.e. running up and down seven flights of stairs interspersed with push-up sets for 25 minutes) will leave your calves sore…very sore…for three days sore.
(7) Who says leftovers aren’t more delicious the next day (or week)? I took the remaining butternut squash sauce from my Butternut Squash Breakfast Pizzas (about 1 cup) and added 1 t minced garlic, 1 t dijon mustard, 2 T nutritional yeast and salt + pepper. The result? A creamy, savory sauce perfect for coating delicate strings of angel hair pasta.
Don’t forget to top with loads of parmesan! The cheese fast was over five days ago, after all.
(8) I ran 9 miles this morning. It’s the longest I’ve run since March 11th (that would be pre-kidney infection). And yes, the Nashville Rock n’ Roll Marathon I signed up for IS this weekend. I may or may not make it across the finish line. TBD.
(9) Dairy Queen Crunch Cones make everything better.
(10) Tomorrow, I am back cooking on Madison’s News 3 This Morning Show! Smoothies baby…it’s all happening.
What is one note from YOUR weekend? Sharing is caring!