(1) I’ve been busy eating bagels with plain, full-fat cream cheese. Five of them to be exact – four everything, one salt.
(2) I made Katie’s recipe for Butternut Squash + Bacon Pasta. It was beyond delicious. If you feel so inclined, I recommend doubling the amount of bacon like I did…ya know, because bacon has been proven to lower cholesterol and clear the plaque build-up in your arteries.
(3) I’ve been spending hours brainstorming misleading lies to tell my readers (see above).
(4) I cried long-lasting tears of BBC joy when I received season 2 of Gavin + Stacey in the mail from Netflix. Nessa + Smithy 4eva.
(5) I found a bar in Madison that serves TAP WINE. Even better is that during happy hour, glasses are $3. Even better than that, if you drink two glasses during a going away party for your friend, you’ll be just tipsy enough to order a giant short rib burger on a sesame brioche that’s served alongside with the best french fries with an aioli dipping sauce.
(7) Yesterday morning, I woke up with my half of my face stuck to a plate of half-eaten cheese and crackers. And yes, alcoholic libations had been consumed the previous evening.
(8) I had two freelance writing deadlines. Both projects of which I procrastinated until the last minute. I blame Sophia Grace Brownlee and her swag-filled YouTube video I can’t stop watching.
(9) I leave for Europe in 16 days! Running errands…travel to-do lists…booking fun activities…reciting the poem I am reading at my friend’s wedding in London…debating whether or not to include an interpretive dance along with the wedding reading…figuring out what I am going to wear to attract that British rugby player. It takes more time than one may think.
(10) Life > blogging. Always.
In other words, please forgive me. I just got a little curried away with life.
Curried Tomato Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
1 T olive oil
1 t minced garlic
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
1 (26-oz) can of crushed tomatoes
1 (26-oz) can of strained tomatoes
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
4 cups (1 32-oz box) low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup plain So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage* or milk of your choice
1 1/2 T curry powder
1 t ground cumin
1 t garam masala
1 small packet of stevia or 2 T sugar
salt + pepper, to taste
Garlic gomasio, chopped cilantro, red pepper flakes or Greek yogurt, to garnish
*the beverage…not real coconut milk
In a large Dutch oven or pan, saute garlic and onion in olive oil over medium-low heat until onions are soft and translucent. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and broth. Turn heat to low. Once the tomato mixture comes to a boil, add the milk, spices and sugar and stir well. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, and serve hot.
Makes 6 to 8 servings