I don’t know about you but without fail come February, also comes a funk.
Something about it being the shortest month of the year and its peculiar placement smooshed between the passage of winter and spring really lends February to feelings of moodiness, sickness and just overall meh-ness. And I know I am not the only one! In talking to friends, family and co-workers, it seems as though the month of February has us all in its firm funk-filled grip.
But today…today we fight back!
(1) Embrace the winter weather. Walk. Snowshoe. Hike. Ski. Snowboard. Run.
If you have a dog, this one should be much easier to accomplish.
(2) And if you are one of those crazy winter runners, buy yourself something nice. Like a new running jacket! I just bought this Under Armour Women’s Impulse jacket for my long marathon training runs, and it’s made getting out the door so much easier.
(3) Two words: Laser. Tag.
(4) Try Chobani’s newest flavors of Greek yogurt: apple cinnamon, blood orange & passionfruit!
Yes, I was sent these samples for free…but no, I am not being paid for this shoutout. And to prove this point, after I tasted the Blood Orange flavor, I went right to Target and bought 10 of them.
(5) It’s called retail therapy for a reason. Go shopping. Buy yourself something pretty.
(6) In reference to #5 (see above), may I suggest some fancy heels and if your wallet is so inclined, a fancy, frilly dress? Then go home and take a nice long, hot shower. Put on your new duds, a bit of make-up and go to the swankiest bar in town you can think of. Guys, don’t think you can’t do this too. Swap out the heels + dress for a nice suit, and maybe skip the make-up?
Order yourself a drink. Something you wouldn’t normally order like a vodka gimlet with lime…or a whiskey manhattan. Or stick with a Sex and the City-inspired cosmopolitan to feel très chic.
Talking in a British accent and flirting with the bartender, optional.
(7) Make soup. It’s warm…it’s comforting…it’s liquid for the soul.
(8) Watch this video and try not to smile or laugh. I dare you. It’s impossible.
(9) Or this video. Seriously, YouTube is such a mood booster.
(10) Listen to Of Monsters and Men. It’s happy-inducing music. My sister recommended this band to me about a week ago, and I’M OBSESSED. In fact, I am listening to “Little Talks” right now.
(11) Plan a trip! Nothing turns around my mood like traveling. I’m working on booking trips to Colorado, Los Angeles, Kansas and just maybe…Argentina this year? Pure excitement.
(12) Invite your favorite people and friends to dinner! Somehow, the combination of conversation, good food, beverages and time together makes me happier than just about anything. Bonus for me: my friends are really funny so a whole lot of laughing is had.
P.S. Beer and fried cheese curds make for a great way to dine.
(13) One word: bowling.
(14) Make a thank you journal. Gratitude is a powerful thing.
Or just try something you’ve always wanted to do! I roasted a chicken. It was awesome.
(16) Live music makes me happy…perhaps it would make you happy too? Buy tickets to a concert of a band you absolutely love (no matter the price) and get crazy. Dance crazy.
(17) Clean your house. When my surroundings are organized, so am I. I feel mentally clearer and just better overall. So clean out the closet. Scrub the floors. Organize drawers. Sanitize. Light yummy apple cinnamon candles. And enjoy your newly-clean abode.
(18) DO NOT SKIP WORKOUTS. Endorphins are needed at this time of year more than ever.
(19) Pamper yourself. Get your nails did…or your hair did. Read trashy magazines. Zone out. Try to interpret what your nail ladies are saying. Chat with your stylist. Sip tea. Zone Out.
Again gentlemen…this goes for you too.
(20) Take a deep breath. Do it right now and smile, for March is not so far away.
What is one thing YOU’RE doing to beat the winter blahs? Sharing is caring!