It’s February. I’m getting over a funk. I’m singing “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” on repeat in honor of Whitney Houston. And I’m going to throw something kind of awesome at you.
A FOOD CHALLENGE.
Yep, you read that correctly: A FOOD CHALLENGE. Just call me Andrew Zimmern, Anthony Bourdain or Adam Richman. Wait…actually don’t. Because it’s time we have a lady representing the hearty appetites of the world, and I am pretty sure this Everythingtarian could take down all those men in a food challenge. Remember how I can pack it down like a veteran 300-pound, “you-want-an-order-of-onion-rings-and-fries-with-that?” truck driver? Yeah, I can.
And I will.
You see…a couple of weeks ago, I happened upon writer Andre Darlington’s “50 Things to Try in Madison Before You Die.” Fifty of Madison, Wisconsin’s most delectable…most ridiculous…and most mouthwatering fare. How was I not going to challenge myself to complete all 50?
If you know me at all, you already know the answer.
1) Sunday Chicken Dinner at Tornado Club
2) Bloody Mary at Sardine*
*please note that in Wisconsin, why yes we do chase our bloodys with a shot of beer
3) Roti, Tarkara, and Dal at Himal Chuli
4) Fetalicious at Glass Nickel Pizza
7) Charcuterie at Osteria Papavero
8) Lunch at Le Baguette
9) ‘Das Boot’ at the Essen Haus**
**I’ve consumed more boots of authentic German beer than I care to claim on this blog
11) High Tea at Natt Spil
14) Farmer’s Market omelette at the Shamrock Bar
15) Walnut Burger at the Harmony Bar
16) Market Bun at Graze
17) Breakfast Biscuit at Ingrid’s Lunch Box
18) Picnic from Fromagination
19) Weekday lunch at The Paradise Lounge
20) Build-your-own-sandwich at The Willy St Co-op 21) Lunch at Mediterranean Café
22) The Corso at Stalzy’s Deli
23) A ‘Boo Burger (while doing laundry) at The Caribou Tavern
24) The Big Cheesy at Teddywedgers
25) Affogato at Nostrano
26) Fish Fry at Toby’s Supper Club
27) Mustard tasting at the National Mustard Museum
28) An “Aero” omelette at Pat O’Malley’s Jet Room
29) Mi Rancho at Taqueria Guadalajara
30) Cumin Lamb at Fugu
31) Seasonal cocktail at Merchant***
***tequila, strawberries, egg white + deliciousness in a glass (according to the bartender)
32) Goi Cuon Cha Gio (AP10) at Ha Long Bay
****the amount of mac n’ cheese pizza slices I consumed in college after 2am is embarrassing
34) Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes at Sophia’s
35) Brandy Old Fashioned cocktail at Le Tigre
*****The ‘V’: scallion tofu cream cheese, poblano peppers, avocado, arugula & tomato on a bagel
37) Mighty Isis at Mermaid Café
38) Grey Salt Caramel at Gail Ambrosius Chocolatier
40) 4 am breakfast at Willalby’s
41) Waffles at Indie Coffee
42) Crab Rangoon at Lao Laan-Xang
43) Chicken sandwich at JD’s Chicago Maxwell Polish Sausage & Steak Burger
44) Pho at Saigon Noodles
45) Macaroons at Marigold Kitchen
46) Eldorado Eggs at Eldorado Grill
47) Fleuri from Fantome Farm
48) The Scrambler at Mickies Dairy Bar
49) Miche from Madison Sourdough
50) Zanzibar Chocolate ice cream at The Chocolate Shoppe
And yes, I’ll be documenting as many of my food challenge experiences on my blog as possible. I mean, how else am I going to boot those boys and get my own Travel Channel show?
Seriously, Travel Channel…call me already.
What is the BEST thing to eat in your city? Give me your city, the name of the place and if you feel so inclined, your credit card number so that I can fly to see you and let you bring me there. Sharing is caring after all!