This next guest post needs no introduction. If you’ve been reading my blog at all, you will know that Madeline + I were destined to be together. As friends AND life partners…sorry Boots (<- Boots = her BF). One of the reasons I love Madeline so much is that not only do we eat very similarly, but we also have an impeccably similar taste in fashion. The girl is always adorably dressed, and I love her style. So, without further ado, let’s see what fall fashion staples we MUST have in our closet come next month…
* * * * *
Hey there Everythingtarian readers! You may remember me from a couple of posts I’ve popped up in over the years thanks to the fact that Miss Holly and I have totally hit it off in real life (just adds to my theory that blogging is like online dating for friendships).
I’m here today to talk about one of my favorite things – fashion. Ever since I was little and I came up with the genius idea of combining a trucker hat and a tutu, I’ve had a bit of a thing for clothes and these days I read just as many (if not more) fashion blogs than I do healthy living ones. So, as Holly gears up for her 40th wedding of the summer, I will fill you all in on my fall fashion staples, because I am oh so very ready for summer to be over so I can pull all of my boots out of hibernation/storage.
Speaking of boots, they are at the top of my list for fall…
This is one of the few places where I’ll encourage you guys to spend some money. Normally, I am a sales rack girl ALL the way, but I will say that my classic Frye Campus Boots that I bought at full price get worn constantly.
And yes, they’ve even been spotted in awkward photo shoots with Holly. Here are two pairs of boots that I would gladly welcome into the fold this fall.
You may be able to hear me swooning over that red zipper all the way from Philadelphia. And yes, I picked two flat-ish boots. I live in a city and I love to walk, so I wear flats 97% of the time (the other 3% is in wedges, which probably doesn’t count either).
Tights/knee high socks
We all go through that awkward period where we try to transition our summer wardrobe over to our cooler weather stuff, and tights and knee socks make this change so much easier. That favorite skirt? Add a cute pair of knee highs and and a cardigan and you’re ready to roll.
Sometimes I try to get all fashion bloggy in my pictures, I don’t think I pull it off very well.
Truth be told, my favorite combo is actually the knee socks OVER tights.
Bonus points if those knee highs are actually snowboard socks and you’re wearing the whole thing with cowboy boots.
I’m also a big fan of the tights under shorts look, which I know a lot of women are leary of, because it reminds us a lot of outfits we wore in elementary school (and yes, I totally rocked that look with a side pony too), but if you are careful to pair the right fabrics together (super light weight shorts and wool tights just wouldn’t work) it can look pretty fabulous.
(totally snapped in a dressing room)
The perfect sweater/blazer
This may seem like a no brainer, but a good sweater makes ALL the difference. In the fall I tend to go the heavy sweater route or a blazer instead of a coat (until we’ve reached the point of no return on the cold weather) and you wouldn’t be too pressed to find me in my cold weather uniform of boots, skinny jeans, sweater, scarf, and giant sunglasses (always giant sunglasses…). Extra bonus, these sweaters help stretch that summer wardrobe out a little bit too.
Once upon a time I spent what seemed like a whole lot of money on this Free People cardigan (I think in reality it cost me around $80)…
If you get something with pretty classic styling you can wear it forever. And I do. I whip this sucker out all the time.
I’m big on cost analysis when I shop and I will hem and haw over a major purchase (which this sweater most definitely was when I first graduated from college… and now that I live in a big city and everything costs an arm and a leg) and I have DEFINITELY gotten my money’s worth here!
So there you have it. Get yourself some knee high socks, the perfect sweater, and swoon worthy boots and you, my friend, are ready for fall!
What fall clothing item are you currently coveting? Sharing is caring!