Take a deep breath in…then a deep exhale out…we made it to 2012!
Last night, I celebrated with an Apple Cider Margarita in one hand and a table of 10 friends in the other. Technically, the table wasn’t physically in my hand, but I think you catch my drift. We drank, ate roasted pork loin + butternut squash lasagna + rum balls for dinner and at exactly midnight, I kissed my friend Rassa on the cheek to welcome in the new year.
But before saying good riddance to 2011, I thought about all the good times of this past year.
1. breaking a juice fast on day 1 with reuben egg rolls
2. going to the world’s largest brat festival
3. boating on Lake Monona with friends
4. eating my weight in Thai food (dare I say Thai was the cuisine of the year?)
5. obsessing over Sally Hansen nail polish strips
6. being graced with the best view of Madison
8. going to New Orleans for my best friend’s bachelorette party
10. setting goals
11. doing a marathon trail relay race at Kettle Moraine State Park
12. buying these Lands End Canvas wedge boots (I can’t live without them now)
13. going to 12 different concerts (Ben Folds, Girl Talk, Death Cab for Cutie, Hall & Oates, Kanye West, The Black Keys, Atmosphere, Dessa, Fitz & the Tantrums, Rhett Miller, Jukebox the Ghost and Doomtree)
14. one word: Europe
15. eating lunch at The Good Food Cart nearly every week
When I woke up this morning to nurse a wee bit of a hangover, I smiled at the thought of it being a fresh new year, drank two cups of coffee, ate saltine crackers and spent the day watching How I Met Your Mother. If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you know my growing obsession. I watched nearly all of season one…just today.
And then at about 4:34pm, reality hit: today marks the beginning of marathon training.
Happy New Year to me.