On Saturday, I got the chance to hang out with one sassy lil’ teacher.
That’s my homegirl Mara. She writes a delicious blog called What’s For Dinner?. She likes to pretend to eat meat in the shape of PBR beer bottles. She and I met at last year’s Foodbuzz Festival (love at first bite, obvs). Many months ago, she and I decided us food bloggin’ ladies were long overdue for a trip to Milwaukee for what we entitled “Mara & Holly’s Day of Fun.”
On the agenda: food and the Milwaukee Art Museum.
We like to keep it simple.
(1) Lunch at Cafe Benelux in the Third Ward…starting with the Merckx burger (brie, gouda, goat cheese + garlic aioli) and sweet potato fries with an unpictured locally-brewed amber ale.
After we split the burger (halfsies!), Mara and I still managed to devour 3/4 of this pannekoeken, a slightly sweet, European-style crepe topped with parmesan, asparagus, pancetta, fried egg and Belgian beer cheese sauce. Lunch was a food blogging success to say the very least.
(2) A stop at the Milwaukee Public Market for dessert. A peanut butter meltaway for Mara; a dish of caramel peanut ice cream for moi. This is also where Mara pretended to eat the meat-shaped PBR bottle (see above)
(3) A scenic cruise on Lakeshore Drive followed by a rather short visit to the Milwaukee Art Museum, seeing as we arrived at the ticket desk just after 4pm and the museum closed at 5pm. Attempt at being cultured, artsy human beings? #FAIL
Attempt at being funny, make-the-most-out-of-what-you-got human beings? #SUCCESS
(4) Boutique shopping in the Third Ward. I somehow managed to buy nothing at Anthropologie, even though (a) I got paid last Thursday and (b) this moneysuck of a store had the most to-die-for mustard yellow peacoat that screamed, “BUY ME HOLLY THY HEALTHY EVERYTHINGTARIAN FOR I AM YOUR SIGNATURE COLOR!”
Instead, I ignored that Darth Vader-like voice and bought three tank tops at a locally-owned boutique. Never forget, buy local whenever you can kids.
(5) Pitstop back at the Milwaukee Public Market. Tea…learning about Mara’s hilarious family (shoutout to Grandma Bertha + Myra!)…helping judge a gingerbread house contest…resting our weary legs…and using the adorable sleeve Mara crocheted for my hot green mint tea.
(6) One word: Graffito. Two words: Ryan Braun. Three words: HOT WING RAVIOLI.
This perfectly-portioned plate of ravioli with braised chicken, hot sauce, gorgonzola, tarragon butter + fried onions made my eyes water, my throat burn and my stomach do a spicy salsa dance, and I mean that in the best of ways. I also wanted to propose to Mr. Braun (aka owner of the restaurant aka Hebrew Hammer aka Milwaukee Brewer’s MVP) after eating it.
Sipped alongside a glass of malbec and finished with a chocolate hazelnut dessert tray – chocolate hazelnut mousse, salted caramel gelato, hazelnut crunch and dark chocolate ganache.
Split between the two of us, it was the perfect ending to Mara & Holly’s Day of Fun.
And just to be clear, if you would rather eat good food than analyze the post-modern long-term repercussions of Impressionistic art, hang out with a food blogger.
You won’t regret it.
* * * * *
Thank you to everyone who has donated to this year’s blog fundraiser for Haiti Medical Mission of Wisconsin so far – we already have more than $200! If you haven’t yet, please check out this post and donate to a very worthy cause. Thank you!