As I am typing this sentence, the clock reads 12:01am.
This means two things: (1) I just finished bawling my eyes out watching the series finale of Friday Night Lights and (2) it is officially my 27th birthday.
Surprisingly, neither of these things make me sad.
First, I need to commend the producers of this most underrated TV show for ending its 5-season run by bringing all the storylines to a full close. I like neat, happy endings…and that is exactly what I got. I would still like to marry Tim Riggins, but that’s another blog post for another day.
Second, I have this really good feeling 27 is going to be a much better year than 26.
Twenty-six was a long, trying year.
In work…in the love department…in the blogging + freelance writing world…in time…and in pretty much most aspects of my life. That’s not to say there weren’t a lot of highlights (A half-marathon run in a lace bra! A blog award! Europe!), but I spent a good majority of the last 365 days dangling in uncertainty, fending of crises, saying yes to a lot of unnecessary things and merely trying to tread water (and drink beer) in hopes of not completely drowning.
This all sparked some deep soul searching and self-analyzation.
Here is what I learned:
(1) If you blog about wearing swimsuit bottoms as underwear, your co-workers will find out and make fun of you. They’ll also give you weird side glances when they think you’re not looking.
(2) Don’t date gay tap dancers. Just trust me.
(3) Stop talking about eating better…exercising more…taking time for yourself…saying no…getting more sleep…finishing your massive to-do list… and instead, save your energy and just make it happen. I’m working on taking my own advice on this one.
(4) The inability to say no to friends can result in double booking a 75-minute yoga class back-to-back with a 5-mile run. You will be sore for four days. It’s not worth it.
(5) Family is the best. Call them just because. Same goes with friends.
(6) Don’t try a juice fast (or do, but be prepared with back-up reuben egg rolls).
(7) Spicy Buffalo Hummus will help you forget about your 30-thing long to-do list. Warning: it will also cause you to add “Make more Spicy Buffalo Hummus” to that list.
(8) Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize!
(9) Being on TV has taught me that I overuse the word “ummm” and the phrase “kind of.” I’ve officially added eliminating these bad habits to my 2012 New Year’s resolutions list.
(10) If you’re not happy doing what you’re doing, CHANGE IT.
If you heed only one of my lessons, make it #10. It only took Mama Everythingtarian telling me this approximately 1,232,659 times before I finally started listening at the ripe ol’ age of 26.
And that is why, at age 27, I am going back to school.
Next month, I am starting a two-year program in graphic design and could not be more excited. I don’t quite have all the details figured out…I’ll still be working full-time…I’m still going to blog as much as I can…I hope to be taking on more freelance writing projects…something will probably have to give…I could hate it…I could absolutely love it…I could very well end up losing my mind…and I will definitely be worse at responding to emails more than I already am.
But I’m giving myself a shot at doing something that makes me happy, which I happen to think is a pretty good birthday gift (along with this pair of trousers I bought for myself earlier today).
Sooo…happy birthday to me!
* * * * *
The winner of the Mason Jar Cookie Company giveaway is comment #50…
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize!