As my lovely friends Kailey (yes, as in Ms. Snackface) + Kanye (yes, as in Mr. West) would put it, I’ve spent the past couple days enjoying the good life. In the words of the latter: “Let’s go on a living spree, because they say the best things in life are free…”
Well said Kanye, well said.
The good life. A novel concept, huh? In theory, we should all be living the good life everyday of our life – laughing, enjoying, tasting, doing, seeing, experiencing, talking, thinking, dancing, singing (okay, maybe those last two are just me).
But what exactly does “the good life” mean?
In case you’re unsure of where this is all going, I’m asking you a totally rhetorical question of which I will attempt to answer for you in an intelligent, philosophical and humorous way in this post. However, I make no guarantees so don’t go asking for your money time spent reading this back.
T.H.E.’s 10 Essential Components of “The Good Life”
- FRIENDS: One of the major cornerstones of my life, I am a true believer, “A good friend is cheaper than therapy.” Seriously. They are there for ya when you need it, make you laugh when you’re feeling blue and of course, you do the same for them in return. The crazy part? We grow up, and now my college roommate Amy is going to be a MOM! That means on Saturday, I attended my very first friend baby shower…scary, I know.
- SHOPPING: Do I even need to explain this one? I mean, nothing quite compares to the joy of finding the perfect purple ballet flat for Spring or the exact navy blue + white nautical cardigan to match my new, slightly-distressed jean shorts. Even better…how’s about scoring a pink shirt for $5 in a “Buy One, Get One 1/2 Off” deal? Or perhaps, a new serving platter to be used as a bedroom accessory? Ahhhh…pure bliss.
- FRESH PINEAPPLE: Random? Perhaps. But I am pretty convinced if we could all start out our day with fresh pineapple, the world would be a much better, scurvy-less place.
- BRUNCH: Completely and utterly underrated. If I could eat a big brunch everyday for the rest of my everythingtarian life surrounded by my family + friends (and perhaps, some bloggers + readers as well?), I would be the happiest of campers. And I worked at a day camp for two summers, so I know what a happy camper looks like, FYI.
- GROCERY SHOPPING: I have a confession to make: grocery shopping is my favorite part of the week. I LOVE meandering up and down the aisles thinking up new foodie concoctions, humming and hawing over what I want to purchase and then finally getting it all home and put away neatly. Yes, I walk up and down EVERY aisle. Yes, I am a nerd. And yes, I clearly have a food blog for a reason.
(from left to right)
- strawberries ($1.49 each!!!)
- organic, free-range eggs
- spaghetti sauce
- organic skim milk
- 32 oz. tub of Plain Chobani Greek Yogurt
- baby spinach
- orange pepper
- ACCOMPLISHMENT: Life would be nothing if we didn’t strive for something. That statement may be pretty vague, but it’s true. We could sit around like big blobs all day or we can go out and just do it, Nike-style. Blob time is necessary once in awhile, but it’s accomplishing things that really makes me happy. Even if it just my mondo to-do list, checking things off before devouring the last of the Bulgur, Spinach and Toasted Walnut Pancakes is something to be proud of.
- YOG MESSES: I mean, how can food NOT make the list? Impossible, especially a good, well-balanced yog mess. When you get a combination like this one – 3/4 cup Chobani Greek Yog + 3/4 cup strawberries + small handful Raspberry Galaxy Granola + drizzle of sunflower seed butter, consider perfection attained.
- WEEKEND PHONE CONVERSATIONS: As you may have noticed, I pack a lot into my life. And maybe a part of that stems from the fact I want to live a full, whole and happy life. However, that also means weeks can fly by, and I haven’t talked to any of the people who matter to me most – my family + friends. This is why weekend phone conversations rule. I have the time and energy to chat away, fully catch-up on all their lives and get some much needed love from the people I <3 most.
- THE RETURN OF GLEE: Nuff’ said. Check out the new promo - I may have peed myself with joy.
- SUNDAY NIGHTS: There is no better time to crawl in bed early, snuggle under the covers, think about all the fun you had over the weekend, read a book (or blogs) or listen to music and get ready to start a brand new week. Especially one where the temps are supposed to hit 70 degrees.
What are your key components for living the good life? Sharing is caring!